At Nicholas Insurance, we’re proud to provide friendly service, quality products, and great prices. But perhaps more importantly, we’re committed to being there for our customers when they need us most–because when disaster strikes, it’s important to know that you’re in good hands.
With hurricanes and major storms on their way this season, we’ve compiled a few tips to help you weather the storm:
1. Clear your gutters of leaves and blockages, and ensure that all downspouts are directed away from the foundation of your home. If there’s a clear path for water to move away from your home, it’s less likely that it’ll end up in your basement.
2. Consider moving any outdoor furniture or decorations inside for the duration of the storm.
3. If you have a garage or carport, park your car under shelter before the storm. Downed trees are a common hurricane occurrence, so it’s best to move your vehicles out of harm’s way.
4. Prepare for a power outage. Have a few flashlights with extra batteries, candles and non-perishable food items available. If you have a fireplace, bring in extra (dry) wood before the storm starts. If not, make sure you have some extra blankets on hand.
5. If you’re on the road, do not attempt to drive through flooded areas–especially if it’s moving water.
6. Ensure that your cell phone is fully charged. If you lose power, you can disable your phone’s internet connection to extend its battery life.
7. If your basement is prone to flooding, ensure that any boxes are shelved and off the ground. In a finished basement, consider moving electronics and furniture to higher ground–perhaps upstairs–until the storm is over. If pets are crated during the day, relocate them, too.
8. Most importantly: if your home is damaged by water or wind, your first step should be to prevent any further damage. Tarp leaking roofs, move endangered furniture and valuables, and hang or dry wet linens. If necessary, call a water restoration company. If you’re planning to file a claim, snap a few pictures of the damage before the clean-up begins–but waiting for an adjuster often increases the severity of the damage and the length of clean-up. Start as soon as possible!
If you have further questions about storm preparation or your homeowner’s insurance coverage, please give us a call at (717) 764-2024 or (717) 755-5858. We’d be happy to help!
The Nicholas Insurance Agency, led by Greg Nicholas, is a family owned business serving the York county, Pennsylvania region. In the insurance business since 1981, Greg Nicholas helps families, businesses and individuals understand the value of different insurance products and make wise decisions when selecting the best insurance products for their specific situations.
Offering exclusively Allstate insurance products, the Nicholas Agency provides auto, homeowners, rental and landlord insurance as well as life & disability, recreational vehicle, motorcycle and personal liability insurance.
For more information, visit our two York, PA locations at Westgate Plaza or Northeast Shopping Center, visit our website at nicholasins.com, or call us at (717) 764-2024.